In these times of economic downturn and doom and gloom it is always good to have a bit of cheery news along with a bit of glitz and glamour to bring us out of the doldrums!
This is just what the Holiday Extras Customer Awards have done for the travel industry over the last three years. The awards are run and organised by the online travel service website Holiday Extras, the site allows customers to use just one website to find and search out the best deals for the bolts-ons that are essential for the smooth running of your trip away, whether it be with business or if you are taking a holiday away with family or friends.
Holiday Extras pride themselves on being a company that you can trust to help you to cut through the multitude of companies that are on the web that claim to be able to help you with your travel plans. It is this reputation for having an honest and trustworthy business that has helped the Holiday Extras Travel Awards become so successful.
The awards have been stripped right back and Holiday Extras have gone back to basics and made sure that all of the winners are chosen by the voters who visit their site (the Holiday Extras Customers).
The categories look at things like the best overall airline and the airline that have the best cabin crew. This year there were twelve categories with two new ones being included. These were the categories for the best travel guide publisher (that was won by the Lonely Planet guides) and the category for the most inspirational travel film (which was won by the cult film Shirley Valentine). Holiday Extras already have plans to add new and interesting categories next year as they expand the awards.
Here is a list if of the best performing travel companies from 2011:
- Best Airline: Emirates
- Best Airline Cabin Crew: Emirates
- Best Airline for Value for Money: easyJet
- Best Airport: Belfast International
- Best Airport Car Park: Edinburgh Park and Fly
- Best Airport Hotel: Gatwick Sofitel
- Best Airport Hotel Restaurant: Manchester Premier Inn
- Best Airport Lounge: Edinburgh Servisair
- Best Airport Hotel for families: Manchester Premier Inn
- Best Airline for Travelling with Babies: Virgin Atlantic
- Best Airline for Travellers with a Disability: Virgin Atlantic
- Most Inspirational Travel Film: Shirley Valentine
- Best Travel Guide Publisher: Lonely Planet
The awards this year were a lavish affair that saw celebrities and the top people from the travel industry attend and come to together to celebrate the crème de la crème from the travel world.
The ceremony was hosted by the well-known travel writer and radio presenter Simon Calder and with such a prominent celebrity from the travel industry lending his name to the awards, it is clear just how much weight these awards hold!